Simple Ways to Make Fitness a Daily Thing
Lack of time is the number one reason people give for not exercising. Lack of time, in addition to the many labor saving devices we enjoy, has caused us all to be very sedentary. Any increase in activity over what you are presently doing is beneficial.
Some easy ways to build physical activity back into your life are:
1. If you can, park a couple blocks from where you work. Walk to and from work. If you use mass transit—get off one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
2. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. If you work on the 10th floor, walk up one flight before taking the elevator. Periodically add another flight.
3. During commercial breaks exercise or walk around. A 60-minute show averages 16 minutes of commercials.
4. Invest in a good pedometer. Track your usual steps for one day, then try to add more steps each day or week to get up to 10,000 steps (approximately 5 miles).
5. Don ‘t take everything in from the car or upstairs (or downstairs) in one trip. Make multiple trips—add more steps.
6. Stretch at your desk a couple of times a day. This is also a great stress reliever.